Don’t “Pokémon Go” to the Hospital: Follow 7 Tips to Stay Safe & ER-Free
As Pokémon Go fever continues to spread across the country, trainers of all ages are out in force trying to catch ‘em all. One thing you don’t want to catch, however, is an unnecessary trip to the ER. As you or your child immerse yourself in the world of Pokémon Go, where you are able to capture, train and battle your Pokémon against other players at gyms, don’t forget you’re in the real world too! You may have heard of the multitude of accidents and injuries that have happened because of the Pokémon Go craze and we at HCA Healthcare want to remind you to “catch responsibly.”
Here are a few safety tips for you and your kids so you can catch ‘em all while staying safe:
- Like the app suggests, always stay aware of your surroundings. Being aware can prevent you or your child from tripping or falling. So, it’s important to be aware at all times.
- Don’t catch and drive at the same time, for your and other’s safety. If your child isn’t old enough to drive, encourage them not use the app while riding their bike or skateboarding.
- Trespassing onto private property or businesses is illegal and can be dangerous, especially at night. Make sure you are welcome at a location before entering. In particular, avoid going into hospitals or police stations so you or your child do not interfere with their important duties.
- As tempting as it may be, don’t go into the street while trying to catch a Pokémon. The Pokémon you are trying to catch will still be there when you cross the street. Don’t forget to look both ways before you cross!
- The app occasionally draw strangers together in real life at conveniently located “Pokéstops.” Make sure your child is always with you or is otherwise protected while traveling to Pokéstops.
- Stay hydrated while exploring, especially in this July heat. Take all the normal precautions you would if you were taking your child to a park on a hot day.
- Similarly, don’t forget to put on sunblock while catching ’em all.
This is not an exhaustive list of ways to protect yourself, so, always use your best judgement and always follow the law and your doctor’s orders.
Stay safe and good luck on your Pokémon quest!
You may also like...
About HCA Healthcare
HCA Healthcare, one of the nation's leading providers of healthcare services, is comprised of 182 hospitals and more than 2,300 sites of care, in 20 states and the United Kingdom. Our more than 283,000 colleagues are connected by a single purpose — to give patients healthier tomorrows.
As an enterprise, we recognize the significant responsibility we have as a leading healthcare provider within each of the communities we serve, as well as the opportunity we have to improve the lives of the patients for whom we are entrusted to care. Through the compassion, knowledge and skill of our caregivers, and our ability to leverage our scale and innovative capabilities, HCA Healthcare is in a unique position to play a leading role in the transformation of care.